Organization: Africa Forum for Agricultural Advisory Services(AFAAS)
Title: IT Officer
Reports to : Partnership, Planning & Learning Specialist/KMS
Duty Station : AFAAS Secretariat
Duration of Contract: 1 year with option for extension
Compensation: Annual Gross pay of USD 4800-7200
How to apply : Submit cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org addressed to Executive Director AFAAS Secretariat before 12th March 2020
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
African Forum for Agricultural Advisory Services (AFAAS) is a Continental body that brings National Agricultural Extension and Advisory Services (AEAS) under one umbrella. The AFAAS’ goal is to enhance utilization of improved knowledge, technologies and innovations by agricultural value chain actors for improving productivity oriented towards their individual and national development objectives. AFAAS Operational Plan (OP, 2018-2022) sets three major measureable objectives that are clearly linked and support its Strategy 2018-2027. These include: i) Strategically deliver knowledge of “good fit”, and inputs, products and engagement that are sound and influential in promoting, encouraging and extending knowledge and information exchange among AEAS leaders, academics, researchers, providers, practitioners and value chain participants and actors; ii) Empower AEAS networks, service providers and actors to put to use the knowledge acquired, and facilitate their direct access to technologies needed to trigger knowledge application and deliver solutions to achieve impacts at multiple scales and shape AEAS management and delivery in positive ways; and, and iii) Sustain and enhance the AFAAS networking functions and AEAS thought leadership - Institutional development and services to members; Partnerships for strengthening capacities to achieve impacts at multiple scales; and Foresight, thought leadership and coordinating opportunities, initiatives and learning.
AFAAS received funding from IFAD funded by the European Union. The funding is under EU initiative on the Development of Smart Innovation through Research in Agriculture (DeSIRA) which intends to boost the transformation of innovation in agriculture and food systems in partner countries and make them to be more resilient to climate change and better respond to development demands. This specific Action will support the African continental and sub-regional organisations (SROs) for agricultural research and innovation, namely: FARA, AFAAS, ASARECA, CCARDESA and CORAF. The direct beneficiaries of this action are the national agricultural knowledge and innovation systems (NAKIS) in African countries and in AFAAS context the Country Fora (CFs) and their members; while the ultimate beneficiaries of the transformation of these agricultural knowledge and innovation systems are the rural poor comprising smallholder farmers, women and youth agri-preneurs and pastoralists, as well as marginalized communities.
One of the key expected outcomes of the Action is to contribute to improved capacities of AFAAS to strengthen and support agricultural knowledge and innovation partners at all levels in Africa to transform agriculture and food systems and to influence policy formulation through effective linkages to/in use of climate relevant science, knowledge and innovation.
The AFAAS Secretariat is responsible for the day to day management and coordination of the AFAAS projects and activities The Secretariat facilitates the functioning of the Board, develops the annual work plan and budget, manages and implements the approved annual work plans and budgets. It supports National Platforms and other groups of stakeholders at country level, ensures compliance with FAAP principles, links to the global community, promotes networking among CF and other stakeholders, facilitates monitoring and evaluation, mobilizes resources and engages in lobbying and advocacy. It also supervises the activities of Country Fora (CFs).
AFAAS is therefore wishes to recruit an IT officer to support AFAAS Secretariat and its network during for the period of 1 year with option of extension upon performance and availability of funds. The services of IT are so important since most of the activities and communications are online there is a necessity to have a stand by IT personnel.
Objectives of Assignment
To primarily provide support to the AFAAS team in end user helpdesk. The officer will work closely with the Knowledge management Consultant but administratively with PPLS who will assign him/her the tasks required in support of other AFAAS team.
Scope of work
The position’s primary focus is on the areas of computer operations, user and desktop support (hardware and software), help desk. Performs a variety of information technology support duties to ensure smooth delivery of technology services. Monitors, operates or coordinates and assists others in the operation of computer hardware, software, and peripherals in order to achieve desired results.
The IT Officer will provide support in the following areas:
- Support the operation and maintenance of the Local Area Network (LAN) and Wide Area Network (WAN) systems.
- Support in maintaining all ICT equipment and applications for AFAAS office in Uganda
- Support in the daily and routine IT support .Installation, operation, and maintenance of computer systems and other technologies, such as communication systems.
- The officer may also work in other technologies specialties’ , such as Web design or internet security
- Support in routine tasks, such as backing up data, monitoring network and systems, servers and peripherals, etc
- Tracking inventory and evaluating new technologies.
- Ensure end user system is running smoothly by providing system administration and maintenance, ensure data protection and provide end –user support.
- Back up the Information & Knowledge management consultant when needed
- Maintain a high degree of client support for all queries
- Work closely and reporting to the Information & Knowledge management Consultant
- Support capacity building of technical staff and user empowerment through regular ICT tips
- Assess IT user equipment needs and spearhead disposal of old IT equipment and draft replacement plan.
- Ensure good internet access to all AFAAS staff by configuring and sharing Internet bandwidth to each users.
- The IT Officer may be asked to perform any other duty or task as requested by the PPLS/ IKMS
The work is of a highly confidential nature and the IT officer must maintain the highest standards of confidentiality.
Hours of Work
You will be required to work for at least 27 hours per week ( Monday to Friday)
Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor Degree computer science, Information Technology or related field.
- At least 5 years of experience of progressively technical experience in information Technology or computer science
Skills and Abilities:
- Networking support experience.
- Experience in outlook support.
- Hands on experience in Microsoft Operating systems, Microsoft office solution, systems installation and configuration.
- Strong understanding of PC hardware set –up and configuration.
- Good communication skills.
- Team work,
- Knowledge of IFAD & EU system policies and regulations.
- Work experience with NGO is an asset
Fluent in written and spoken English , French will be an added advantage