Deadline: 12 February 2018
Applicants are invited to apply for the Next Einstein Forum (NEF) Challenge of Invention to Innovation (Ci2i) to reward research based innovation and highlight the global impact of African researchers and entrepreneurs.
On 26-28 March 2018, the Next Einstein Forum will host its second Global Gathering in Kigali, Rwanda. A critical component of the NEF is its unique innovation competition, the Challenge of Invention to Innovation (Ci2i). Young African scientists and innovators under 42 years of age are invited to present their research driven innovations in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) to a panel of experts in a pitch style competition.
The NEF Ci2i focuses on innovations of high impact globally and locally that a ready to be scaled up. Judges and participants come from major pan-African and global business, pharmaceutical and technological companies providing an unparalleled opportunity for researchers and entrepreneurs, both in terms of feedback and mentorship and in terms of funding to scale and expand R&D efforts.
Candidates will be invited to submit presentations under three main categories:
- Climate Smart Innovations (Energy, Agriculture, Circular Economy etc.)
- Deep-tech Innovations (Data driven innovation, Autonomous Systems, AI, Machine Learning, Digital Innovation, Fintech etc.)
- Personalized Health Innovations
- The monetary prizes for Ci2i winners and runner ups will be announcing during the unveiling of the selected Top 15 innovators to pitch at the NEF Ci2i.
- In addition to a monetary prize, winners will get significant media exposure and benefit from the NEF’s global network to further scale up funding and connect with partners and collaborators.
Participation in the competition is open to Africans of all nationalities under 42 years of age. In the case that teams are led by a non-African, one of the co-founders or chief executives must be African.
- During the first round of the competition, the jury will use score sheets to choose the top 2 presenters. The score sheets will assess the following criteria on a scale of 1 to 10:
- Clarity of the presentation
- Originality, novelty or innovativeness of the work or idea being presented
- Potential for or evidence of impact and application of the presented work or idea to human needs
- Scalability including business plan
- In the second round, the winner will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Potential Impact
- In case of a tie, the jury will decide the victor through a quick vote.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must download the application form via given website http://gg2018.nef.org/ci2i/